Thank you for visiting this page to find out more about our plans to open a Nursery class at The Royal Kent School, Oxshott, in January 2021.
As some of the visitors to this page will be aware, the pre-school that operated for many years from the hall at St Andrew's Church on Oakshade Road closed in February 2019. As a consequence, all those who attended the setting lost their places, and parents had to find alternative provision for them elsewhere.
Since the confirmation of the decision to close, The Royal Kent School have been in active discussions with Surrey County Council (SCC) and the Diocese of Guildford about alternative options for the provision of a Funded Early Years Education (FEE) facility in Oxshott. In April 2019, SCC confirmed that it had been unable to identify any alternative venue or operator in Oxshott, and that they were currently unable to fund any new building work or classrooms at RKS in order to accommodate a school-based nursery facility, which is what the school believe would be the preferable, long term solution.
As an alternative to having no FEE pre-school provision in Oxshott for the foreseeable future, the RKS Governors agreed, in partnership with SCC and the Diocese, that we should consider whether we could accommodate a nursery within our existing space. This would require significant investment in our school's infrastructure and a ‘re-stack’ of part of the school in order to provide a safe, attractive and compliant space. Here is a summary of how this could be achieved within the current school building:
- The nursery would be housed within the current library area (which would be fully redecorated and appropriately resourced)
- Infrastructure improvements would be made to that section of the building - the roof replaced, windows changed into a door to access the outside, a fenced off (from the main playground) outdoor area created, toilets refurbished etc.
- Our existing library and computer suite would move into the current Year 2 classroom
- The Year 2 classroom would move to the current computer suite
We applied to the Elmbridge Strategic CIL Fund for a grant of £80,000 in June 2019, and following a presentation to the CIL Board and then consideration by the full Cabinet in September, we were awarded this grant for the completion of the required building works.
Important information about the Nursery
- As a Local Authority maintained Nursery setting, we will be able to offer qualifying parents ‘free’ funded places via the FEET (Free Early Education for Two Year Olds), 15 hours universal offer and the 30 hour extended entitlement (the 15 and 30 hours entitlements are for 3 and 4 year olds only). The offer of free places supports local children in our community and in particular, early intervention for the most disadvantaged children. Parents can check eligibility for funding on the gov.uk website (search for ‘TaxFree childcare’).
- We anticipate that the new Nursery will be able to accommodate up to 20 children per session, and will be open during term time only.
- Timings and further details of sessions are not yet finalised.
- We are applying for planning permission for the school building works (which will take place in the summer holidays 2020)
- Our admissions policy will be developed in conjunction with Surrey CC - the closing date for applications for a place to start at the Nursery in January 2021 will be confirmed in Spring 2020
- Open mornings for those interested in a Nursery place for January 2021 will be held in March 2020 (dates tbc)
- If you would like to join the mailing list to receive termly updates about the Nursery development, please email email@example.com
More information will be added to this page as it becomes available.